Using Blackboard can improve teaching and learning by making the experience more engaging, more collaborative and more effective for all students by:
- Delivering access to learning from virtually anywhere (PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, Android etc)
- Connect communities and promote collaboration in and beyond the classroom.
- Deliver targeted information to motivate and keep learners on track.
- Centrally store, share and collaborate around content more quickly and easily.
Blackboard is a feature rich online learning environment. The following are some of the features available:
- Course Content: Teachers use the Course Content area to post the work that teachers are teaching in class for the subject.
- Calendar: Each subject has its own calendar which can be used to post due dates for homework, assignments or exams.
- Blackboard provides the functionality for teachers to be able to set assessments, tests, quizzes, surveys and polls online. This allows students to be able to view all their assessment information for a particular subject in one place.
- This feature also allows students to submit their assessments via the Internet, eliminating the need to print out homework and hand it at school. Students are able to submit draft assignments …
- Teachers are able to review and mark assessments online and provide feedback to students immediately.
Not currently used in all subjects yet.
- Announcements: Teachers are able to post subject announcements for students to read. These announcements could be reminders regarding homework or any changes that have been made.
- Discussions: Some teachers may decide to utilise the Discussion Board functionality available within Blackboard to encourage student discussion around a particular topic being taught in the subject.
- Email: Blackboard allows students to email their teacher directly from within Blackboard.
- Blackboard allows students to set their own tasks as a useful time management tool.
- The calendar displays a consolidated view of all your institution, course, organisation, and personal calendar events. You can view events by day, week, or month. You can also view and organise upcoming and past events into categories.
- Course calendar events appear to all members of the course. Common entries include upcoming tests, due dates for assignments, or homework.
(click on the boxes above to expand)