Which iPad should you purchase?
Due to the many varieties of iPad available, the College recommends parents visit the Apple Store Carindale to discuss the models appropriate for use at the College, in conjunction with the information provided below.
Whilst the College recognises that parents may have already purchased iPads for their children prior to the launch of the Citipointe iPad Initiative, there are minimum specifications of iPad to be compatible with the College network.
- The minimum specification iPad recommended for College use in 2017 is the iPad 4 32GB.
- However, the College strongly recommends the new 2017 iPad 9.7″ 32GB for parents purchasing a new iPad, including new students in 2018, as this will give the best value vs expected device lifespan (2-3 years) proposition before next purchase.
- Note that the College will no longer support the iPad 2 or 3 versions due to poor performance and operating system limitations.
- The iPad Mini 2 & 4 and iPad Pro are supported on the College iPad Initiative. The iPad Mini is not recommended for use beyond 2017 as the smaller screen size does not support NAPLAN testing.
- The iPad 1 and iPad Mini 1 will not be supported on the College iPad Initiative.
NB. The College also advises parents against the 3/4G cellular version of the iPad as this makes content filtering / safety monitoring of the device difficult.
Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model here.
AppleCare+ (highly recommended)
When purchasing an Apple computer or mobile device, it is always advisable to buy an AppleCare+ Plan. AppleCare+ for iPad provides up to two years of expert telephone technical support and additional hardware coverage from Apple, including up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a A$65 service fee. This can be purchased at the time of buying the iPad or within 60 days after purchase from Apple. Further information on AppleCare can be obtained from the Apple website: http://www.apple.com/au/support/products/ipad.html
Protective Case (mandatory)
To ensure the protection and reliability of the iPad, the College strongly recommends parents purchase a robust iPad case. Two good options the College endorses are the Otterbox Defender and the Griffin Survivor cases. These can be sourced at online stores via the Internet or a suitable case can be purchased from the Apple Store. Ensure you get the correct sizing for the iPad model you have purchased.
Headphones for audio are mandatory for each student. Due to health reasons, headphones must be provided by the student and not shared amongst other students. The Apple Store offer a large selection of headphones, whether ear piece style, or full over-ear style. Other vendors such as Bose and Sony also provide good quality headphones, providing they support the Apple 3.5mm stereo headphone minijack.
An optional but very useful accessory for typing up assignments, in preference to the on-screen keyboard. A wireless keyboard can be purchased separately, or in conjunction with the iPad case itself. Apple, Logitech and Belkin offer reliable wireless keyboards. Macworld reviewed a number of iPad bluetooth keyboards and have produced a buying guide to help you find the best bluetooth keyboard. You can access this guide by clicking here.
A list of core and subject specific apps can be found here.